Saturday 13 December 2014

Turtles and Dreams

What a week.  On Tuesday I was floating around in the Caribbean Sea, pretending to be a turtle.  Waves lapped effortlessly over me as I bobbed around, looking at the cloudless sky above, thinking about all sorts of things.  Fast-forward twenty-four hours and I was back at the helm of Maternity Action, having slept my way through the flight home, showered, changed and headed to the office.  

Two colleagues had tidied up, so much so that I thought I was in the wrong office. 

It's amazing what a 'tidy-up' does for a space and the way it makes you feel when you are in the space.  I've spent part of today tidying my room as the amount of junk amassing was becoming dangerous, to the extent that I was considering writing a risk assessment.  I have today found a piece of floor I haven't seen for at least eighteen months.  Most of what has amassed is going on eBay tomorrow - we are nearing the Iceland balance, which is great news - I am confident that we will have raised all the funds by Christmas - (this Christmas to any cynics!)  

There are 6 bags of CDs waiting for me at my parents' house, thanks to those lovely people at 2gether, with whom we jointly fundraise for our youth and community work.  I have a small army of people lined up to help put things onto eBay and process all the CDs.  We have already raised over £750 from online reselling of CDs and tomorrow's lot should bring in a few more hundred.

The rest of the week was filled with meetings and catching up.  I met with my delightful Brownie and Guide leadership teams on Thursday night who are a fantastic group of people, all of whom love Guiding! From the 14-year-old Young Leader whom I have known since she joined Brownies as a timid 7-year-old; to the Leader-in-Training who was a Unit Helper for 2 years, then turned to me and said 'I've realised what Guiding is all about - I want to be a Leader'.

We looked at where we are now, where we are heading and bounced around a lot of ideas for attracting more leaders and thinking about 2015.  As I mentioned before, we really need more Rainbow units locally and nationally.  Running a unit is wonderful - would you consider it? The chance to influence young lives positively, to introduce them to the exciting world of Girlguiding, which will provide skills for life, friendship and so much more.  Have a look here and you'll see what it's all about.  Get in touch if you want to chat about it.

Well that's it from the blog for now.  Thanks for reading - the stats weren't bad - it's been read by at least 4 people who weren't me.  

Remember what I've said - be who you want to be - make it happen - follow your dreams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment