Saturday 4 August 2018

#TrolleyBusFriends

I last rode a bicycle in 1998, when I cycled 60 miles with my patrol to fundraise for our trip to the World Scout Jamboree in Chile in 1998.  I owe a lot to that trip - (the trip to Chile, rather than the 60 mile cycle ride) - in that I didn't say a whole lot beforehand, but haven't really stopped talking since.

When my sister suggested that we 'cycle and dog-blade to brunch', I was a little apprehensive.  I keep receiving e-mails about 'unusual activity' and this seemed to fit with that.  

I was presented with a hat which swiftly wrecked my freshly-coiffured hair, but better that than fall off and end up with a cactus embedded in one's head.  I'm not sure if my travel insurance policy (purchased from Aviva through easyfundraising, generating £7.50 for 1st Chislehurst Guides - have I mentioned this?!) covers cycling when one hasn't for 20 years.  But the old saying about riding a bike is true - one doesn't forget.  Once I'd got the balancing thing I was ok.  My nephew sped ahead on his trusty bike - he has a stegosaurus helmet with spikes for extra protection.  My tiny niece sat snugly in a chair on the front of my sister's bike.  As for dog-blading? A dog is required and thankfully the family dog was available - he duly ran along on the lead, confidently held by my brother-in-law who roller-bladed smoothly along.  I certainly couldn't have roller-bladed, so was gently relieved when presented with a bicycle.

The terrain was entirely flat, and a purpose-built cycle track led us beautifully through the sun-drenched edge of the Californian desert, punctuated by cacti and a huge stable full of horses.  The heat is remarkable - almost as hot as Journey Camp at Cudham last weekend, but not quite.

My confidence on the bike grew and I changed gears at least twice.  Confidence in commanding a vehicle is key.  When I started to learn to drive, I had four lessons then hit a house - it just came at me.  Note to self - do not wedge parents' Mondeo into neighbours' house - you will not be asked to babysit there again.

We arrived at Bravo's Fresh California and enjoyed a divine brunch of pancakes filled with blueberries, sausages, eggs and coffee.  The egg terminology here is baffling - at home it's 'boiled', 'fried', 'poached'; here it's 'sunny side up' or 'over-easy'; I didn't know what either meant, so went for 'over-easy' which appears similar to 'fried'.  We hydrated ourselves and the dog, then headed home.  ("Rehydrate, doo doo, do do do-do" - to anyone who was at the Closing Ceremony of Journey Camp).

We variously cycled and dog-bladed home, then headed to the beach! We drove to a large parking lot by a shopping centre, then boarded a trolley bus which took us all the way to the beach! It was packed with happy people, both locals and holidaymakers, some cooking themselves in the sun, others paddling, swimming, surfing.  We paddled, cuddled the baby, sat and watched the waves crashing on the beach.  Ice-cream o'clock and we headed to the legendary South Swell Hand Dipped Ice Cream where we enjoyed frozen banana dipped in chocolate and an abundance of colourful sprinkles.

We trolley-bussed back - #TrolleyBusFriends smiled at me as I had charge of the baby in a green papoose.  Papoose - what a great word - and not used often enough.  I shall endeavour to start using it more often.  "Now, where's my papoose?"

Sushi was on the menu for dinner, and we headed to Totoya restaurant where my brother-in-law gave an informative lesson on all the types of sushi available - I made sushi on the Japanese Cultural Exchange in Japan in 2003, but have not had any since.  Today was a day of doing things I haven't done for years, and my sister and I duly munched our way through a Dragon Roll, a Crunch Roll and a series of other pieces of sushi, plus copious glasses of water, which were refilled about every four seconds by our trusty waiter.

Sleep o'clock.  Thanks for reading - hope you are enjoying it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment