Wednesday 6 April 2022

Chapter 4 - angry flying cubes

Today was my final day en famille  and I write to you now from Los Angeles International Airport where I'm awaiting my flight to a further few days of adventure.

I had a happy half hour this morning where my brother-in-law let me try his virtual reality headset.  I had to ward off angry flying cubes aiming for my head, with giant lightsabers, in time to music.  I found this very difficult and after perishing multiple times over, he kindly put it onto a mode which meant I could not perish.  It's at times like this that I realise that hobbies different to my own are available.  The closest I get to virtual reality is, well, watching Click where Spenley, Lara and the team fill me in on the latest advances in tech, most of which I can appreciate, but happily live without.  It was a bit like that.

My sister lovingly prepared spider-web shaped waffles for breakfast, with delicious strawberries and blackberries, plus I enjoyed a chocolate orange flavoured coffee thanks to my brother-in-law's epic coffee machine which wouldn't look out of place in Costa.  

I loaded up my giant orange tortoise once again and after I had said goodbye to SAGE the very advanced dog, two cornsnakes, two fish and an Argentinian tegu, we bundled into Hermione the Tesla; it's very important to always name things.  

We went to a local shopping mall and I watched my niece do exactly what I do - make friends with complete strangers, which was endearing.  We browsed in several shops and my sister purchased shoes for the children - my niece's shoes smell like strawberries! Honestly, who thinks these things up?!

We had lunch at a quirky pizza place where we were able to build every aspect of our own pizza, which was good fun and a lovely final meal together.  After wandering around a little more, I was introduced to bubble tea, which has been on my list of things to try for ages, but an opportunity had not presented itself, until now.  Well, I still don't quite understand what it is, but it is delicious - it consists of cold tea with tiny yummy beads of tapioca which - googles quicklyare made of tapioca starch which comes from the cassava root.  Who knew? There is a bubble tea place in Plumstead High Street which I walk past multiple times each week - next time I shall pop in and order myself a bubble tea.  You should do the same. 

Well, here endeth the first part of this adventure and it's time for the next part.  I said a tearful farewell to the only two people in the world to whom I am Auntie Helen - 'why are you crying Arnie Helen?' questioned my 4-year-old niece.  Since then I've been catching up with various administrative bits and bobs, hoping that my lift from the next airport has received my flight details - here's hoping.  Tomorrow's blog will reveal all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment